Apps for the Eco-conscious Traveller
We all know that getting in a car, on a plane or even boarding a cruise ship is harmful to the environment. But travel is an essential part of life, it is important for us to experience new surroundings, cultures and history.
Thankfully, there are options available to minimise your ecological footprint whilst enjoying the many benefits of trotting around the globe.
According to Forbes, ecotourism is showing annual growth rates as high as 30 percent, making it the fastest growing sector of the tourism industry. Travellers are starting to notice how their desire to see more of the planet is resulting in even more pollution, and want to make a change to ease their contribution.
“Green” applications for smartphones can help to conserve while you travel, and these ones are our top picks for your next trip.
- Green Globe is the ultimate green travel app. Green Globe helps you find sustainable hotels, resorts, cruise ships, and tours, and also provides photos, videos and links that allow you to book travel directly.
- Green Travel Choice can track you CO2 emissions and it doesn’t matter if you’re driving in a car, riding a motor bike, taking the bus or flying on a plane. It also logs your trips, travel distance and emissions over time – meaning you to choose transportation more wisely. Green Travel Choice has partnered with The International Tourism Society which has been involved in ecotourism since 1990.
- Carma Carpooling or Uber pooling helps commuters or travellers to find nearby people to share their drive, which reduces traffic and emissions. According to the app, rides cost about twenty cents per mile that is paid to the driver. This can be an affordable way to get around your travel destination as well as reducing your impact on the planet.
- Carbon Emissions Calculator estimates the emissions used during air travel. Travellers select the airports they are using, the class of travel and number of passengers, and the app shows the carbon footprint and distance travelled during the trip. This app allows travellers to become more aware of the impact that planes have on the environment, and gives them a choice to seek other alternatives.
- The Goodguide app allows users to find healthy, safe, and socially responsible consumer products. By photographing the bar code on food, household, and personal care items, as well as toys, users can see information from scientific research and ratings. There are similar apps, including the “orangutan-friendly” Sustainable Palm Oil Shopping and Ethical Barcode.
- Katie Perry One of Australia’s leading sustainable fashion labels of ethically made, environmentally friendly, sustainable and socially responsible fashion , means even when you’re not travelling – you can be eco-conscious! Plus its so comfortable and versatile you can wear Katie Perry clothing from the plane straight to the hotel and out for dinner.
Forget the maps, travel books and paper itineraries – monitoring your CO2 emissions, finding sustainable accommodation and identifying organic rest stops is all just an app away.
Get in touch and let us know how you stay eco-conscious when you’re travelling…